Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Song of Light

A SONG OF LIGHT

the light between dawn and dusk grows perceptibly longer
each new noontime gathers and holds more heat
spring rains falling in series soften the earth's tough hide
whisper to the stirring life dormant just under the skin

in soldier rows in their orchards fruit trees stand taller
salute the passage of time with fragrant blossoms
with flashes of burning color a songbird whistles and preens
as, drab and safe, his mate sets and huddles her eggs to life
a farmer has scraped away winter's thick old matting
naked and open the dark soil receives his seed

and you come to my window singing bright songs
call at my door with hands overfull with light
dumbfounded I stand but then gather you in
touch your lips and your eyes

for I have no reply, no fire and no music
all I can offer is love

Jeff Seffinga

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

The Salvation Army