Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sea Inside

Sea Inside

inspired by the painting Good Neighbors by Laurence L. Schultz

If you painted me into your picture
of the house that reminds me of the sea-
green stucco warm like gulf waters,
purple umbrella roof,
front porch orange as coral,
alien as coral and sponge
and phosphorescent fish darting.
If I climbed the tangerine steps-
three to the porch-
and walked inside,
you would paint me there in tropical hues.

A sea anemone-
my indigo hair, a fan,
my undulating yellow arms,
my rippling red legs.
I expel all air from my lungs
and settle to the sandy bottom,
to the cool deep, to the deep quiet, to the painted dark.
I settle into myself,
becoming small and dense and magnificent-
as still as anything in the sea.

Nicole Borg
Wabasha, MN
American Red Cross